The man I love

The man I love
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Search This Blog

this gal loves traveling through life...anywhere and everywhere!

Travel should have been my middle name! It's probably my incurable curiosity that allows me to enjoy wherever I am. People often ask me which is my favorite place. I usually say it's wherever I am at the moment!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Our "Schedule".....

One thing I absolutely LOVE about being in most of the 30-something foreign countries I've visited is that no one seems to be in a hurry. Oh yes, the Italians drive and talk faster than most everyone else I've encountered, but even so, every time I (and whomever else....) get picked up to go somewhere, there are still the little niceties....whether it's Beni or Carla, or some of my other friends in other places (Drew in Brazil, Elke and Jean in France), they always take several minutes to greet the person at whose place we are staying....whether or not they know them personally, there is time for conversation about the person and his or her family. In America, it's always "hurry up, we've got to be at ----- by 2 o'clock!" It used to bother me that whenever I was overseas somewhere, no one was EVER on time. (funny that Vio just came into the guest house to tell us that Beni called and said instead of noon, he'd pick us up at 1pm.....perfect "timing") Eventually, the realization came to me that the reason for the tardiness is that everyone other than most Americans I know is way more interested in having a relationship than in keeping a tight schedule. Of course I understand the need for schedules.....airlines (really?) trains, meetings, dr. appts., etc., but on the other hand, maybe we need to take a little lesson from the others instead of assuming that we're superior because we've got more spaces on our calendars (ahem...I mean i-phones) filled in. Over-scheduling is......maybe not the ultimate goal. Many people have said it - so I'm not sure the original source - but the quote is: "show me your calendar and I'll show you your priorities."
Whoa.....she's done quit preachin' and gone to meddlin'......
It seems that several of the days' conversations have all wound their way back to wisdom.......maybe God's trying to teach us all something.....Lisa and me from US, and Beni, Eugenia and Carla......well, we're listening. One of the days Alex (Carla's 17-year old son) was in on the "wisdom" conversation, and he interjected....."it's easy to be wise....just think of something stupid and then don't say it!" So, I guess that about wraps it up.
Alex accompanies Beni on many of his out of town trips to preach.....it's great one-on-one time for a kid who has been raised by a single mother, and Beni enjoys pouring his wisdom into the "son" that he has taken under his wing. Alex is a great photographer too, so any photos you might see on facebook just might be some taken by him. They were in a church one Sunday and the pastor of the church asked Beni to ask Alex if he might have a message (for the church). Alex pulled out his cell phone and began to scroll down...........true story.
Yesterday the church picnic was quite fun. It's so wonderful to see brothers and sisters who truly care for each other.....it was so evident in their play, their conversations, their hugs and smiles.....and I've heard many stories from people about how loving and caring someone else has been at a difficult time in their lives. Loved talking with Mary Dugulescu, widow of Peter.....and hearing how so many people in the church have continued to invite her over for dinner every Thursday night for the last 3 years since her husband died (on a Thursday night). Do I take that much time to care for someone else? I will remember that and try not to worry so much about my own inconvenience, but about the other person.
There was great grilled chicken, sausages that were rolled by hand just prior to placing on the grill, and wonderful potato wedges with the ever-present garlic sauce.....sour cream and LOTS of freshly grated garlic. Yummy, but POTENT. They began with a wonderful time of praise music, everyone young and old, singing their love for God......the pastor prayed and then a race to be first in line for the food! The teenaged boys were so polite and offered to have me go in front of them. Fortunately the rain held off but it stayed somewhat overcast so therefore it didn't get too hot. Surrounding the open area where most of the "action" was, were about 20 tiny wooden A-frame cottages, just large enough for 2 cots with walking space in between them. A miniature "porch" with 2 steps led out into the grassy area.....they had set up a sound system on one of these porches, and played many of our American contemporary Christian CDS, some Romanian CDS, and there were football (soccer?) games, kickball, badminton, volleyball.....one of the teenagers "called" the games from there. The pastor asked me to play several songs on the violin, so I set up right there by the sound system. My music was laid on the porch railing....had 2 clothespins just lying on the music to "secure" it from a light breeze, and someone held up the microphone for me to play into! At one point, a soccer ball came careening up and hit my ankle! What a funny place to play a violin, but I've always promised God that I'll do whatever He wants me to do, wherever......and this definitely fits into the "wherever" category.
Later on in the afternoon, people wandered back for more food......the pastor called for small groups to pray together, we had another short musical worship time and then the need for that "all-church" photo. Since my camera seemed to be the best quality (thanks, Mandy) they used it.......LOTS of laughter as everyone tried to pose, then squeeze together, babies crying and the pastor's daughter/amateur photographer pointing at someone to turn around, scooch down (there's no Romanian translation for that, by the way) or make a better smile! After a corporate prayer, we all cleaned up and began to pile into cars (or for most of the church members, the bus) for home. Good timing! I'm positive the mosquitoes GREW from the time we arrived till the time we left......they may even be bigger than the ones we designated as our national bird in Wisconsin! Just as we got into the car, a few raindrops began to fall.....off and on till we arrived at the guest house, where we literally got inside and the sky opened up.....thunder and lightning.......pouring rain most of the night, but it was nice and cool for sleeping. We really had fun at the church picnic....been a while since I've attended one of those!
Time to pack......in one way I can hardly believe our time here is over....yet in another way it feels as if we've been gone just about forever! I really miss my hubby!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment