The man I love

The man I love
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Search This Blog

this gal loves traveling through life...anywhere and everywhere!

Travel should have been my middle name! It's probably my incurable curiosity that allows me to enjoy wherever I am. People often ask me which is my favorite place. I usually say it's wherever I am at the moment!

Friday, May 7, 2010

Movie night

PRAYER REQUEST: My plantar fasciitis is really bothering me....all the walking yesterday exacerbated the condition and even after a good night's rest wearing "the boot" there's still quite a bit of pain.....I don't want to drag the others down with my slowness!
Also, we'll probably visit an orphanage today......I'm still asking God for His wisdom as to the people and places we're visiting and how best to serve them in the future.

About midday yesterday Eugenia walked into the guest house and asked if we were ready to go.....sure, we're always ready. We walked out and down the block, and then she said we'd have to walk about 500 metres. So, with my heel spur/plantar fasciitis, I'm thinkin' I should have prepared for this possibility and worn my Skechers! Drat! I'm just not a mind reader.....wish I was, but I'm just a mother with eyes in the back of her head.....at least that's what my kids used to think :-)
Well, it must have been more like a mile or so that we trekked....and let's all remember that.... as bad as the streets are??? Well, the sidewalks are probably worse than that. It's one thing to hike a mile on even terrain, but I've hiked in the mountains on paths that were smoother than some of these "sidewalks" (and of course I'm using that term very loosely). We finally made it to a main road where we caught a taxi to Carla's apartment for lunch. Her 17-year old son Alex was already home from school, and also her mom Geta was there as well. They had made a Moldovan soup recipe.....with veggies and a very tasty broth.....very good! For the main course, we had polenta with sausages.....you top it with grated sheep's cheese.....with all the good food, it's really difficult to stop at just one helping! Lisa asked Alex to style her hair (he is a licensed stylist) and while Geta and Carla cleaned up, Eugenia and I just relaxed in the living/dining area. Eugenia was pretty spent after her exam in the morning.....she was disappointed in her grade because she missed one question! She can have the opportunity to take it again, and since she has had the Romanian equivalent of straight A's, she wants the chance to make 100% on this exam. Oh that I had been so conscientious when I was a student! (or maybe my kids???)
Lisa came back out to oohs and aahs, and Eugenia then asked Alex if he could just cut her bangs. He's terrified of cutting because he's only just gotten his stylist license.....but he did a great job. Another thing Alex loves to do is make pizza and also crepes. I'm glad he didn't make pizza for dessert, but the crepes were filled with Nutella, apricot jam, or strawberry jam, and topped with cherry ice cream! I'm afraid I'll just have to be rolled off the plane when I finally return home! I, of course, have every good intention of not eating too much when I'm here, and then when it is brought out and placed in front of me, it looks so great, smells so wonderful, and tastes so amazing, that all my will-power flies right out the window! Oh well, I'll eat, drink, and be merry, for when I get home, I'll diet!
It's hard for me to sit still......don't get me wrong, when it's time to chill, I'm at the head of the line and I can relax to the MAX! But when I'm on a mission trip, thousands of miles away from home, I'm always ready for anything.....I don't want to miss a thing or place or person that God has for me to meet, so when there doesn't seem to be a plan, it's a little frustrating to me. Don't tell anyone, I'm just admitting this to you....it's one of my [many] shortcomings. If there's one more orphanage to visit, or church, or ministry, I want to be there! Guess this is what it means to really be passionate about something.....so thank you Lord that you've given me this passion......all this to say that yesterday morning and afternoon was more difficult for me than if we'd been on the go since 6am! I'm just like that.....Terry always tells people that I wake up in the morning saying, "...so anyway..."
Sitting around yesterday actually made me tired, so when Carla got a phone call and said, "we're going to the movie tonight," I thought, "oh great, I can sleep!" We were going to meet up with the Dugulescu family....Ligia and her 2 adopted daughters, her sister Eunice with her husband Christian, one of Ligia's boys from Onesimus House, and Theresa, Ligia's friend (and my new friend) from Salt Lake City, who is head of the European commission on human rights and dignity.....she also spoke to the Romanian Parliament. Met everyone at Starbucks.....sat around and talked till the movie time, and then I found out we were going to see Clash of the Titans. I was not that excited, but this was at least a plan, so I got my ticket and picked up my 3-D glasses. Actually, I got into the film.....thoroughly enjoyed the music (well, duh) so when it was all over, I realized I was glad we'd gone to see it! I love Perseus' line.....he says it once at the beginning and once at the end, and I've said something similar to Terry for many years now, "I've got everything I need right here!"
Movie over, glasses handed back in, we headed back downstairs to Starbucks.....well, down the escalators from the top floor until we stepped on one that wasn't working. Thought we were gonna be stuck at the top of that one all night! (ok, Terry, just laugh this once and I'll never say that again!) The "garage" door was halfway down at S'bucks, but in we walked anyway. I'm sure that Alex is part owner of this one :-) because we just walked in, sat down, several people got more drinks.....and sat and talked while chairs were being put up around us, floor being mopped, the "garage" door was lowered all the way.....till quite a bit past closing time!
Alex has every Starbucks mug available, so I was really excited that the one I brought him was one that is not available here.
We literally closed the place down and all parted to go to our respective "homes". A different day, but a good one, for sure.

1 comment:

  1. ....enjoyed "movie night" as I read it. Glad to see all the support through today's comments from people back here that love you. See you over on the email side of things shortly.
    Love, Ter

    ReplyDelete