The man I love

The man I love
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Search This Blog

this gal loves traveling through life...anywhere and everywhere!

Travel should have been my middle name! It's probably my incurable curiosity that allows me to enjoy wherever I am. People often ask me which is my favorite place. I usually say it's wherever I am at the moment!

Friday, July 1, 2011

if it seems too good...

Ok, I knew things were going too smoothly. It really seemed too good to be true...as I waited for the Miami flight, I noticed there was about an hour delay posted on the board. An announcement to that effect was made, but I hardly had time to ask about my connection when the next announcement declared the flight cancelled. Don't you just love to hear the word "weather" in conjunction with your cancelled flight? That's the airlines' way of saying they're not gonna lift a finger to help their stranded passengers.
Somehow I found myself 6th in line at the American Airlines desk for rebooking...that never happens to me because I'm not one to push my way in line. However, it soon became clear I would be waiting for a very long time and I really began to feel sorry for the others behind me. Proactively I called Martha, the world's greatest travel agent, and even as I moved closer to the front of the line, she was able to find me another flight not going through Miami (or Singapore, for that matter, which sometimes happens when you're trying to avoid certain cities!). Finally it was my turn at the counter, and the agent told me that the reserved flight ...for which I had a seat...was overbooked by 30 people. Simultaneously, I've got Martha on the line, who says "if they give you a seat assignment, you're on!" My "friend" at the counter was probably in for a long night and already regretting having not just called in sick. She snapped at me "well, then just have your travel agent book the flight with Delta!" Which I did. When I had my confirmation numbers in hand, I returned to the woman at the counter, who called Delta to confirm and then issued me a ticket. Whew!
Next order of business was to go to baggage claim for my suitcase and bring it to the Delta counter, and check in for the new flight, which would be non-stop from Atlanta to Brasilia.
The good news was that my suitcase and I were reunited, without anyone having a chance to lose it! But now that I was on an international flight, I had to ride that little train "all the way" to the "E" terminal, where I waited in line without incident, checked in, and once again said goodbye to my suitcase.
This time going through security, I just happened to get a TSA person with an attitude, or maybe she just fought with her boyfriend - whatever, she proceeded to unpack most of the contents of my carry-on bag, looking for, as she put it, "lots of little bottles of liquids all over the place." Really?? I had deliberately packed all liquids in my checked bag, leaving only a few vitamin bottles, (capsules) which I had placed in another bag to keep them all together. I mentioned that to her, but evidently it only spurred her on to prove me wrong. Of course one is not allowed to put one's hand over the "fence" to aid/interfere with packing/unpacking, so I watched quietly, almost curious to see what little bottles she could find! Of course my things were now strewn all over her desk...but still no bottles. I thought of inviting her to totally empty the bag, but some people need to be superior without actually finding out all the facts, which might prove them wrong. I knew that she had to save face so I continued to keep quiet, even as I watched her stuff everything back with a huff and then catch the zipper on my sweater not once but twice. I realize she's "just doing her job", but it's always much more pleasant to be kind and friendly. I usually try to joke a little with the person and see how long it takes me to get a smile or a laugh, but there was no humor in Ms. TSA yesterday. Made me think of our favorite quote from good friend Roger Heuser (who married us 12 years ago in the Loire Valley) who likes to say, "I take my work seriously but I don't take myself seriously." Good idea. The need for some people to be superior just brings out the clown in me...I'm always looking for a way to crack a joke, but many of 'em just don't get it.
Found my way to the gate and sat down on the floor to recharge phone after all that time with Martha, who kindly just "hung out" on the line with me till we got everything straightened out.
By the way, if you're interested, Martha works for The Cruise Experts, in California, where another good friend, Wes, also works. Wes and Terry know each other from music groups about a hundred years ago, and everyone there always gives us such wonderful service...we've gotten some ridiculously inexpensive cruises and the best advice...for Terry's 60th birthday I wanted a nice hotel in Budapest...Wes took only about a day before he called me back to give me the name of a wonderful Boutique Hotel that was having a "birthday discount"...I've told lots of you that our room was discounted the percentage of the birthday boy! Yep. 60% off. We just couldn't stop laughing it was so luxurious!
Just a shameless plug for the best TA ever! I'm not getting any payment, and they didn't even have to ask me to do it!
Boarded the plane, doors were closed, and there were still about 6 empty seats (on the flight that was 30 overbooked). For the first time ever, I think, I had adults all around my immediate area, which made me think I might even get to sleep on this overnight flight. Boy was I wrong! Screaming babies suddenly appeared, and right behind me, a yippy little dog. In addition, the captains seemed to be looking for every little bump they could find. Sleep was definitely not in my future, but I did manage to snag a few little catnaps. For Delta Airlines, the meals were pretty bad. (let's face it, for any airlines they were bad!) I picked at the pressed chicken, and ate the dessert. Apparently someone also neglected to put all the alcoholic drinks on board because the man in front of me tried to order something and the attendant was explaining to him the terrible service they had from the ground crew, who just forgot to restock the galley.
Fortunately puppy finally stopped yipping, and somewhere over the ocean the babies stopped screaming, only to start again the minute breakfast began to be rolled up the aisles. Did I saw bad? I'm not sure I'd dignify what was put in front of me by even calling it a meal. Although there was a perfectly ripe banana to save it from being a complete disaster. Being the coffee "snob" that I am, I nevertheless ordered coffee. My mistake.
Immigration and Customs were a breeze, and again I was able to check on my suitcase. Still coming along for the ride! Got it checked in for the last time and came to Gate 8, which, of course got changed to Gate 12.
Waiting for flight to Recife, I'm hoping that Terry was able to communicate all this to Drew. I did facebook him some partial info last night, but couldn't get through by phone or text. Terry tried calling several times as well with no answer or voicemail, but Drew's a pretty resourceful guy who'll figure it out, probably by process of elimination.
Here in Brasilia the sky is perfectly blue and it feels somewhat cool for now. I'm just glad to be here because the more people I spoke with last night, the worse things got. Being 4th of July weekend understandably makes it much more difficult to change/rebook travel plans, and I know that Miami flights were full for today. If I had tried to stay on the same flight, I would not have even been able to leave till Saturday or even Sunday.
They've called my flight. Off to Recife.

No comments:

Post a Comment