The man I love

The man I love
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Search This Blog

this gal loves traveling through life...anywhere and everywhere!

Travel should have been my middle name! It's probably my incurable curiosity that allows me to enjoy wherever I am. People often ask me which is my favorite place. I usually say it's wherever I am at the moment!

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Saudades

On my last day here, Drew arrived about 8am because we were supposed to leave at 8:30. This whole week he has had some business emergencies, so many of our appointment times had to be changed. But he brought over some papaya, delicious ham, and a thermos of coffee from Sueli, which I enjoyed while he was on his call.
Stopping to pick up Sueli, we drove out to the Casa de Salem, where Helio was volunteering this morning. There were several young mothers with their babies, waiting for the doctor. One of the biggest problems in the favelas is there are so many babies being born. The clinic offers free birth control, but the girls forget to get it! Helio showed us around the small building – there is a dental chair and some equipment, and another office where he sees his patients. Sueli’s sister, a pediatrician, was going to meet us there to see what she could do for them. We got a call that she was blocked from coming by a big truck that was stuck in the mud – up to the axels. So we drove to the end of the street and picked her up. She spoke with Helio and decided the days she would be available to volunteer.
I heard a lot of rain in the middle of the night, and early this morning it rained as well, but by now it was clear, sunny, and hot. When we left Casa de Salem, we had planned to go to the beach, and Sueli invited her sister, Bete (Elizabeth), to come with us, so we dropped her car off at their parents’ home and continued on to Praia do Sol (Sun Beach) for, as Drew puts it, “the best crab and shrimp anywhere”.
The trip took about 40 minutes, and there weren’t very many people there because it’s not a protected beach (no life guards). So we had the place almost to ourselves, though the longer we were there, the more people continued to arrive. There are many little shacks in the area, all with different colored tables, chairs, and umbrellas in front of them. Each one tried to outdo the other with the decibel count of their music. The bass was pounding so loudly the grains of sand were jumping (ok, so I exaggerated...what can I say, I was raised to speak in Baptist!). Evidently one shack finally won because the others turned their sound systems off. This place is owned by the parents of Sueli’s daughter’s boyfriend (got that?), so of course we had to eat there. The server brought beers for everyone (when in Brazil...), and crab soup for me and Drew – the two sisters didn’t have any. But they loved the crabs. I prefer my crabmeat out of a can or casserole dish...seems like a whole lot of work and messy hands for such a little payoff! I managed to navigate my way through just one crab, and I’m sure it was good, but to me it was just annoying! Shortly, a plate of shrimp and French fries arrived as well...Drew doesn’t eat crab. (ok, then, how could he assure me this was the best crab on the beach???). Every place that we've had shrimp, it's been served with the shells on. I seem to be the only one who peels it - everyone else just chews the shells too. (eeuw!)
We washed our greasy hands off in the ocean, which was muito agitato (very rough) today – probably from the storm last night. The water wasn’t as warm as yesterday at Besso Beach, and the color was brown from all the sand being swept up by the big waves. Sat back down at our table and continued our conversation, Sueli and I in the sun, and Drew and Bete under the umbrellas, which had to be tied down because it was so windy. One thing I noticed here is that everyone discusses and discusses things over and over again. It’s all about the relationship, which I’ve mentioned I appreciate.
Had to get back for a 4:00 meeting with Sueli’s brother-in-law, Ricardo, a lawyer who just happens to hold the position of “vice-mayor” in the town council. The hope is that he will be able to help Cenca in some way. Maria Jose, Sueli’s eldest sister, is married to Ricardo. Their son Bruno greets us at the door, and surprises me with fairly good English. Ricardo and Maria Jose don’t speak English, so 2 conversations take place at the same time...the 2 couples in Portuguese, and Bruno practices his English telling me (and showing me on his computer) about a project in another poor community that he and some friends have been working with. They have built houses and hope to add a sport court soon. They’ve done a lot of work already and he asks me if “my people” will be interested in helping their project, called Um27 (One twenty seven, for James 1:27 – the verse that talks about helping the widows and orphans). I always feel humbled and overwhelmed at the same time, because I am only one person, but when I join with others in the body of Christ, we can accomplish so much. I also feel a huge responsibility to return as I have said I will – many times - with groups of enthusiastic people willing to give their lives away – people who will commit to an ongoing relationship with these who are so needy.

On my last evening here, “the fam” (Drew and Sueli, Shalomir, Michael and Renan) treated me to a Churhascarria! Sal e Brasa (Salt and Ashes.....literal translation). The salad table is huge and I have to remind myself not to fill up on salad, because the waiters keep coming around to our table with skewers of different cuts of meat, which they will slice right there for us. This particular restaurant also has a sushi bar. We eat until we have to be rolled away from the table and can’t even think of looking at the dessert cart. While we’re all together, Michael calls Marta (his sister) so we all talk to her. She’s on her tour to the south of Brazil and Chile, and she’s FREEZING! We’ve seen pictures of the snow and ice on last evening’s news. Marta is more than excited and prematurely appreciative of what “my group” is going to do for Cenca.

Outside the Churhascarria, goodbyes are said – Sueli can’t come with us tomorrow because her son is returning from a church retreat and we all think she needs to be there for him. So, it will be quite a while before I see my dear new friend again and our parting is emotional.
I will be sad to leave my friends...21 years is a long time to know someone... especially in the case of Shalomir who was just a little younger than Renan when I first met her. I watched her grow up during the years I traveled frequently to Brazil. She is so smart and capable, and has matured from a girl to a lovely young woman who loves interacting with people, and a very caring mother for this little boy whose biological mother could no longer care for him. In fact, his birth mom was one of the first girls Marta helped raise in the orphanage she started – the Shalom House. Kinda completes the family circle in a way. Just reminds me how we’re all connected and God has given us the responsibility to care for each other.

I'm already filled with saudades (there's not really a translation except it just means "missing") for my new friends and not so new friends, and the people for whom I hope to help make a difference. I've traveled all over the world, and love every place I've been, but somehow, Brazil is different. Each time I leave this beautiful country, a little piece of my heart stays behind. Please think about coming with me on this mission trip in the fall. Your life will forever be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment