The man I love

The man I love
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Search This Blog

this gal loves traveling through life...anywhere and everywhere!

Travel should have been my middle name! It's probably my incurable curiosity that allows me to enjoy wherever I am. People often ask me which is my favorite place. I usually say it's wherever I am at the moment!

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Master class

      Well, the rain has not gone away, as I requested! In fact, it's been pouring all day, to the point that all of our umbrellas are so saturated, they are dripping on our heads! I stepped in a big puddle after lunch, but I've had the afternoon to dry off because I "took a cut". Yesterday, all the lugging of my violin and backpack with the big music folder (we've got over 100 pages of music, in plastic sleeves) did my shoulder in, so Camp told me to take the afternoon off. Caught up on some email, read a bit, and took a very short nap. It's Terry's birthday, so the staff was taking him out to lunch, and afterward, we were going to talk on Face Time.
     This morning we loaded the bus and went back to Senhorina School, where we gave our concert on Tuesday evening. Today was to be master classes. We had 4 kids in a drum class, and about half-dozen in the brass class, one trumpet, one French horn, and 4 trombones.  The woodwind class had 4 flutes and 4 clarinets.  There are viola and cello players, no violins in this school, so I had nothing to do but "float" from class to class, interacting with kids and taking pictures. (also handing out little fun-size M&Ms, which the teachers and interpreters wanted too! Of course I had more than enough for everyone). The string class was by far the largest, with about a dozen, split evenly between cellos and violas. One little boy, Daniel, arrived with his cello in pieces! He cried to Paula (one of the teachers) "how am I going to play? My cello broke yesterday!" The strings were all off, the end pin had come out, the sound post had dislodged...it was really a mess. Dave, our cellist, also does repairs, so this was like meat to a hungry lion! He took that cello, and in no time, it was back together. While he was repairing Daniel's instrument, Dave gave Daniel his personal cello so he could play with the class. I may have mentioned before that most of these kids only get to play during the one or two lessons they receive each week. Daniel may be one of the luckier ones who has his own instrument, I'm not sure. But they listen intently and try everything our instructors told them.
     Tom, our trombonist, gave a wonderful master class...I probably stayed longest in the brass class only because I was so fascinated by Tom's presentation. He is also one of the most encouraging persons I've ever met! One girl couldn't play the lowest note, so he gave her a few tips to get to the lower tones. He then finished up by telling everyone that he really couldn't play at all when he first started. He encouraged everyone to keep on practicing any time they could. If they don't have an instrument at home, he showed them how to buzz just with their lips. Their Brazilian teacher said, "I tell them that all the time!" Sometimes it helps to have someone other than one's own teacher (parent?) say something. It seems to "stick" better. Tom went on to say, through the interpreter, that when he accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Savior, he began to understand that Jesus will help us. When Jesus lives in your heart, he continued, He also gives us the power and strength to do things, even like playing our instruments. Tom said that he knows Jesus plays through him (Tom). And, he added, "I know that Jesus is a better trombone player than I am!"
       This evening we went to a local theater to hear the PIB big band play, and our brass players joined them. Keyboards, drums, and bass played on 2 of the songs, but the trumpets, bones, and saxes played the entire concert. It was great, and definitely loud, with 10 trumpets, 12 saxes, and 6 bones, plus rhythm. This is a Christian jazz band, and the founder said that Camp gave him the idea. After the concert, the bus took us to Pizza Hut, where they bring different types of pizzas around to the table, and you choose the ones you want. It's all you can eat, with 2 dessert pizzas as well. Knowing myself as I do, I declined it all. 10:30 dinner of pizza doesn't exactly make for a good night's rest, and there were 2 of us who chose not to eat, but just sit at the table and talk with the others.
       Had a very brief Face Time call with Terry and off to bed. I'm beat, and I think my contacts must be glued to my eyes. Camp said tomorrow will be our busiest day. I said, compared with what??? Every day has had every minute filled with activity (or eating!). But we have 3 concerts, morning, afternoon, and evening, so I would really appreciate prayer for stamina. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Good night.



No comments:

Post a Comment