The man I love

The man I love
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Search This Blog

this gal loves traveling through life...anywhere and everywhere!

Travel should have been my middle name! It's probably my incurable curiosity that allows me to enjoy wherever I am. People often ask me which is my favorite place. I usually say it's wherever I am at the moment!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

If it's Tuesday, this must be Curitiba

       Surprise! More fog, 100% humidity and high of 66 today. Though, I've been wearing 2 jackets, and it sure doesn't feel like the weather channel's temperatures! Today the tops of the buildings are covered in fog.
       Yesterday our first stop was the Eneas school for a concert. Interesting, since we had never played any of the selections together. Upon arrival, we were shown to the outdoor area--possibly a gymnasium area, fenced in, where there were enough kid-sized chairs for each of us. The wind was whipping through like a wind tunnel, but we managed to set up stands and music without too many of them falling over. The children began to file in and, from the sound of it, they enjoyed our concert very much. We give a little instrument demonstration about halfway through the 40-minute concert, and they knew most of the instrument's names. As we were loading up, a darling little girl came up to Adora and asked to see her French horn. Adora let the girl hold it and play it before we had to board the bus.
       Lunch was at PIB church again, and the afternoon was spent touring the beautiful city of Curitiba.
We went first to the lovely opera house, Wire Opera House, which was closed because it was Monday. We saw the outside, and of course visited the shop. Parque Tangua, one of many parks in this city, gave us some pretty views of the surrounding area, and then we had a little walk through the forest to see an environmental university--Universidade Livre do Meio Ambiente--neat setting, with a pond containing ducks, the biggest koi I've ever seen, and a stately black swan. A beautiful Ukranian church built in honor of the first Ukrainian immigrants to Curitiba, built all of wood, gave us a little sense of the history of the area. We ended our city tour with the Botanical park, Jardim Botanico, with its beautiful glass domes, fountains, and picturesque garden walks.
       On the bus coming back to PIB church, there were a lot of tired campers, for sure. The little naps helped as the bus drove us to dinner at Pamphylia. All the dishes were prepared for two people, so everyone shared. I "just happened" to be in the middle of one of the long tables, so I was able to taste about 7 different meals. Everything was absolutely scrumptious!
       8:00 was rehearsal time with the children. Again, the stage was filled with instrumentalists, many of them probably around 5th-8th grade (American grades). They all play really well, and as a violinist, I love seeing these little kids use the whole bow. As my teacher used to say, "Your dad bought the whole bow, not just half of it!" As with all beginning musicians, intonation needs work, (well, maybe more than just beginning musicians!), but overall, it sounded really good. Their enthusiasm for music and their instruments is great to see.
       I was glad to quit about 9:30 because it was a long day. Several wanted to go out for "the best milkshake you'll ever taste", but I was anxious to get to my computer so I could Face Time with Terry!
setting up at Eneas school

the children were very attentive


a budding French horn player!

I remembered the Jardim Botanico from the last time I was in Curitiba, probably over 20 years ago!
evening rehearsal
       As I close, I want to thank y'all for your prayers. It's very evident God is working here in the people of Brazil, and also in me. I've not had any hip pain, and my energy level stays pretty good throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment