The man I love

The man I love
Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

Search This Blog

this gal loves traveling through life...anywhere and everywhere!

Travel should have been my middle name! It's probably my incurable curiosity that allows me to enjoy wherever I am. People often ask me which is my favorite place. I usually say it's wherever I am at the moment!

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Paris

What Sunday lacked in just about every area, Monday gave back beaucoups! Left the airport on the Air France bus to travel the peripherique toward Porte Maillot....even at mid-morning, the traffic reminds me of Orlando, LA, Chicago, take your pick. When we arrived at Porte Maillot, we began the walk down Ave. de la Grande Armee toward Charlotte's apartment....past my favorite store, the Peugeot store...I always have to stop and drool at the new ones because if I could, I'd own one. Love that car.
At the corner we turned, went past the Patisserie, smelled all the wonderful breads, then a block to Rue de Bois de Bologne, turned left to #11...pushed the button (release for door) and went in. Spoke with the manager (in French, of course) and got Charlotte's apt. key as well as a package that I recognized was from her mother. Decided after all the walking/running we'd done yesterday that we'd take the lift up to the second etage...the 2 of us could barely fit with our wheeled carry-ons...there's no way to get furniture in the lift, so instead, it must be carried up the winding staircase! No A/C because most of the buildings are so old.
Charlotte's apt. is familiar because Terry and I stayed here last year for about 4 days for our 10th anniversary while Charlotte was traveling.
Having dropped everything on the bed and surrounding floor, we decided the first order of business was to eat something substantial...after the horrid meal (a first, I'll admit, for Air France) on the plane. Changed out of our jeans into something cooler and didn't want to go very far since it was already about 1:30, so we just walked to Le Touring Cafe, on the corner across from the Patisserie. Sat outside, ordered one salad and 2 chicken plates and some San Pellegrino.....ahh....one gets so parched from plane travel. Rested our weary bones and then went back to the apartment to get walking shoes.
Walked to the Arc de Triomphe and climbed the 274 (yes, we counted) steps to the top where we had an incredible view of all of Paris...and of course the 10 streets coming out like spokes...remembered when Terry and I got married 11 years ago and he had to drive around the Arc...as Charlotte's mom Elke said "you just have to go! Do not wait because that will cause a crash. It's better to keep going fast!" Thought my new hubby was going to have a heart attack, but as you can tell, we're both still here. Great driving and very good advice. It's when one pauses at a right-of-way that one is most likely to cause an accident.
Took tons of pictures and I pointed out all the landmarks of the city.....walked down again and by this time it was almost 7pm so we just decided to come back home. At least we didn't waste away our first day with naps! (which, by the way, would have been the worst thing we could do.....Terry and I always try to stay up the entire first day no matter how tired we are, and it always evens itself out with a great sleep the first night.
Back at the apt., we showered and dressed for dinner...waited for Charlotte to come home and then when she did, we walked to Chez Clement, the wonderful restaurant we'd been to last year...there's only one entree, delicious meat with an incredible sauce and frites (fries)....a light greens salad, and then a choice of desserts. We had a demi of red wine with the meal, and then for dessert, ordered a meringue, ice cream, meringue, ice cream and whip cream covered with chocolate.......and profitrolles. Oh yeah. Now we're talkin' All the dieting I always do before an overseas trip? Wiped away with just the first meal (or better to say the first dessert). Strolled leisurely toward "home".....it's completely safe here even late at night (which it was...about 10:30), sat for just a few minutes and talked before Charlotte sent us to bed......and slept really wonderfully, even with the noise of the people in surrounding apartments. Rain in the night woke us up for a bit...closed the windows that were wide open....so we wouldn't get rained on (no screens...not necessary). I was up around 8, just as Charlotte left for work but "the queen" (don't tell her I said that!) slept in till 10. While I waited for her to wake up, I went to the Patisserie for pain chocolat, came back and made coffee, and I guess that's when I blogged about the airport mishaps.

I just re-read this and realized it's been a LONG time since I've been able to connect. We are now in Montreaux, Switzerland, and boy do I have a lot to write about! For now, adieu and I'll be adding more soon.............

No comments:

Post a Comment